A brief history;
- Madame Tussauds today is operated by The Merlin Entertainments Group but the idea of these life-size wax figurines started with Dr Phillipe Curtius who was a doctor & wax modeler, he opened a
museum with figures which became popular with parisians in 1770.
- Madame tussaud, was born Marie Grosholtz in Strasbourg, France in 1761. Marie moved to Paris with her mother who worked as a housekeeper for Dr Phillipe Curtius, Marie was to become his prodigy.
In 1794, Curtius died leaving the wax exhibition to Marie.
- Marie married Francois Tussaud a year after Curtius had died, who was a civil engineer.
- The Napoleonic Wars brought turmoil to France which saw a decrease in the numbers visiting the wax exhibition, worried about the future success of the exhibition & the country's economic
decline, Madame Tussaud moved to England without her husband in 1802
- During the next thirty- three years, Madame Tussaud toured every major city in Britain with her collection. She tired of travelling & she established a site in London, close to the present
exhibition on Baker Street. Her last work was a self portrait, created eight years before she died in 1850. She left her collection to her two sons, who wth their grandchildren, continued the
business. Today it is operated by The Merlin Entertainments Group.
- Madame Tussauds now has location in Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Las Vegas, New York, Orlando, San Francisco, Shanghai, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Toyko, Beijing, Bangkok, Singapore, Sydney &
The gallery below includes photographs of American actrors/actresses, singers, sportsmen & historical figures including;
- Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin
Please visit my photography portfolio at Fotolia by Adobe Stock by clicking on the link provided below;