My Stock Photographs are available to view and for sale on Adobe Stock
- If you would like to see my photographs at hi-resolution and or/are interested in purchasing a photograph/s please visit my photography portfolio at Adobe Stock by
clicking on the link provided: Liberty Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
Please visit my extensive photo galleries from Washington DC by visiting any of the sub-pages including:
Please visit my photography portfolio at Adobe Stock by clicking on the link provided below :
Liberty Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
A brief history of Washington DC / historical interest to go alongside my Stock Photography
- The Constitution of the United States allowed for the creation of a seat of government, the area that would be chosen would not be allowed to exceed 10-square
miles, this would be ruled by the United States Congress.
- The chosen area would be independent and therefore not part of any state.
- Disputes over where the new capital would be located arose between northern and southern delegates.
- An agreement was reached whereby the debts incurred by the northern states during the American Revolution would be taken over by the government, in return the the
new capital site would be located in the south.
- Land was chosen from the states of Maryland and Virginia, this included the towns of Georgetown and Alexandria.
- The site for the new city, as chosen by George Washington was to be known as the city of Washington.
- For the new city a grand design was required, George Washington invited Major Pierre Charles L'Enfant to design it.
- The government was moved to Washington in 1800, with John Adams becoming the first U.S President to take residence in the new President's House, designed by
Irish-born architect James Hoban, this would later be named The White House.