Washington DC photography features an image gallery with photos of the First Division Monument including the Victory Statue (Winged
Please visit my image portfolio on Adobe Stock if you would like to see more Washington DC photography at full-size and resolution :
Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
A brief history of the First Division Monument and Victory Statue to go alongside my Washington DC photography
- The First Division Monument is located at the north-west corner of President's Park, west of the White House.
- The monument honours those who lost their lives serving in the First Infantry Division of the United States Army.
- The memorial sits in a plaza south of the Eisenhower Old Executive Office Building and was designed by Cass Gilbert.
- The original monument consisted of a granite shaft crowned by the gilt bronze Victory Statue (Winged Victory) sculpted by Daniel Chester French honouring those who
fought in the First World War.
- Later additions to the memorial honour the First Division soldiers of subsequent wars including World War II, the Vietnam War and Desert Storm.