Photographs of the First Division Monument including the Victory Statue (Winged Victory)
A brief history:
- The First Division Monument is located at the north-west corner of President's Park, west of the White House.
- The monument honours those who lost their lives serving in the First Infantry Division of the United States Army.
- The memorial sits in a plaza south of the Eisenhower Old Executive Office Building and was designed by Cass Gilbert.
- The original monument consisted of a granite shaft crowned by the gilt bronze Victory Statue (Winged Victory) sculpted by Daniel Chester French honouring those who fought in the First World
- Later additions to the memorial honour the First Division soldiers of subsequent wars including World War II, the Vietnam War and Desert Storm.
If you would like to see more of my photography from President's Park and it's surrounds please visit these galleries:
Please visit my photography portfolio on Adobe Stock by clicking on the link provided :
Liberty Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio