Cherry blossom stock photos are now available to purchase from my Adobe Stock photography portfolio:
Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
Below you'll also find internal photo galleries featuring cherry blossom stock photos including iconic architecture, statuary and memorials from around the Tidal
Basin including the Jefferson Memorial & Franklin D Roosevelt Memorial :
A brief history of the Tidal Basin cherry trees to go alongside my cherry blossom stock photos
- 3,000 cherry blossoms were given to Washington DC as a gift from the Mayor Jukio Ozaki of Toyko in 1912.
- The Japanese cherry trees were give as a gift to help enhance the friendship between the United States & Japan and celebrate the
continued close relationship between the two countries.
- The National Cherry Blossom Festival has commemmorated this generous gift from Japan since 1927.
- From modest beginnings the festival has blossomed into a truly national event welcoming around 1.5 million visitors each year over the
four weekend span of the festival.
- The official peak bloom date of the cherry blossoms is determined when 70% of the Yoshino cherry blossoms are open.
- Typically peak bloom occurs somewhere between the last week in March and first week in April with a few exceptions due to extreme
- Earliest peak bloom ever recorded was on March 15th 1990 and the latest April 18th 1958.
- The Yoshino variety of cherry trees typically bloom for several days, but the length of the blooming period depends on weather