Please visit my other photograph galleries from around the Tidal Basin including the Jefferson Memorial & Franklin D Roosevelt Memorial :
Please visit my photography portfolio on Adobe Stock by clicking on the link provided :
Liberty Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
A brief history of the Tidal Basin including the story of the cherry blossoms to go alongside my stock images
- 3,000 cherry blossoms were given to Washington DC as a gift from the Mayor Jukio Ozaki of Toyko in 1912.
- The Japanese cherry trees were give as a gift to help enhance the friendship between the United States & Japan and celebrate the continued close relationship
between the two countries.
- The National Cherry Blossom Festival has commemmorated this generous gift from Japan since 1927.
- From modest beginnings the festival has blossomed into a truly national event welcoming around 1.5 million visitors each year over the four weekend span of the
- The official peak bloom date of the cherry blossoms is determined when 70% of the Yoshino cherry blossoms are open.
- Typically peak bloom occurs somewhere between the last week in March and first week in April with a few exceptions due to extreme weather conditions.
- Earliest peak bloom ever recorded was on March 15th 1990 and the latest April 18th 1958.
- The Yoshino variety of cherry trees typically bloom for several days, but the length of the blooming period depends on weather conditions.