Please take a look at my White House stock images by viewing my Adobe Stock photography portfolio.
Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
Please take a look at my photo galleries which encompass the White House stock images, including photos from Lafyette Square and Pennsylvania Avenue.
A brief history of the White House to accompany my White House stock images
- In 1791 George Washington chose this site as the location for the official residence of the President of the United
- Irish-born architect James Hoban was chosen to design the new building, which was known as the Executive Mansion.
- President Theodore Roosevelt changed the official name of the building to the White House in 1901.
- The White House is one of the most distinguished buildings in Washington, first inhabited by the 2nd President of the United States,
John Adams on November 1st, 1800, the house at this stage was still unfinished.
- The presidential palace was burnt down by the British during the war of 1812, most of the building remains as it was
- The South Portico was added in 1824 and the North in 1829.
- The West & East Wings were both additions to the original plan, with the West Wing built in 1902, under the orders of President
Theodore Roosevelt & the East Wing added in 1942 on the instruction of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
- The White House today is vast complex which includes the, Executive Residence, East Wing, West Wing, Eisenhower Old Executive Office
Building (former State Department) & Blair House (guest residence).
- The property is owned by the National Park Service and is part of President's Park.