Please visit my photography portfolio at Adobe Stock for full-size imagery by clicking on the link below :
Liberty Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
A brief history of how the area of Georgetown has developed to accompany my Stock Photography
- Georgetown developed well before Washington, D.C.
- Native Americans had a settlement here.
- A land grant was given to Ninian Beall in 1703, who named the area, the Rock of Dumbarton.
- Scottish immigrants began the large population increase in the mid eighteenth century, and the town was renamed George Town in 1751.
- It grew rapidy into a tobacco and flour port & finally the city of Georgetown was formed in 1789.
- The Harbor & Chesapeake and Ohio Canal were built in 1828, the streets became lined with townhouses, some still remaining true today. The railroad led to a
downturn in Georgetown's economy & was in decline by the mid-1800s.
- A century later charming houses began attracting wealthy young couples , with restaurants & shops springing up in Georgetown's main streets including M Street
& Wisconsin Avenue. Georgetown still keeps it quiet existence from the rest of the city, even today.