Press on the internal links below to view photo galleries with more Lincoln Memorial stock imagery:
Lincoln Memorial stock imagery in high resolution is now available to view on my Adobe Stock & Dreamstime portfolios:
A brief history of the 16th President of the United States to accompany my Lincoln Memorial stock imagery
- Abraham Lincoln was born February 12th, 1809, in a log cabin on Sinking Spring Farm, Kentucky. Elected as the 16th president of the
United States, he was the first president to be born outside of the thirteen original colonies, leading the country through it's most testing moments during the Civil War.
- Lincoln saw slavery as hypocritical for a nation founded on the principle that "all men are created equal". As president he used his
powers of office to preserve the Union. In freeing slaves Lincoln left a legacy to freedom which is one of the most enduring birthrights American's possess.
- Henry Bacon an architect from New York had his design for the presidential memorial chosen by Congress.
- The Lincoln Memorial exterior is constructed primarily from Colarado Yule marble, Tennessee pink marble, pink Milford & Massacusetts
- The Lincoln Memorial interior is constructed primarily from Indiana limestone, Georgia white marble & Tennessee pink
- 36 Doric columns which stand around the perimeter of the memorial represent the number of states in the Union at the time of Lincoln's
death. The names of the states are carved in the frieze. The names of the 48 states in the Union when the memorial was completed in 1922 are carved in the exterior walls.
- A plaque is located in the Lincoln Memorial approachway plaza below the lower steps of the Lincoln Memorial steps commemorating the
admission of Alaska & Hawaii.