Please visit my photography portfolio on Adobe Stock for more West Potomac Park stock images :
Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
Please take a look at my other internal photo galleries featuring West Potomac Park stock images :
A brief look at the life of President FDR to accompany my West Potomac Park stock images
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt remains the only president of the United States to be elected into office more than twice, winning four
Electoral College votes, serving as president from 1933-1945.
- Roosevelt gained the presidency at the height of the "Great Depression" and restored the American people's faith in themselves. He
brought hope and promised prompt & vigorous action, remarking in his Inaugural Address, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".
- He served through the Second World War, in 1939, he began secret correspondence with Winston Churchill to aid Britain's war effort. His
personal friendship with Churchill was instrumental in bringing the United States in to the World War & when the Japanese attcked Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, Roosevelt directed the
nation's manpower into war.
- Roosevelt died in office two weeks before the surrender of Germany.
Overview of what there is to see within the mammoth open-air memorial:
- Statue of Roosevelt in a wheelchair, in the Prologue Room
- Sculpture of the "presidential seal" mounted in the entryway in Room One
- Relief sculpture of his first inauguration in Room One
- Sculptural groups including a "Breadline", a "Rural Couple" & a man listening to a "Fireside Chat" in Room One
- Statue of Roosevelt with his beloved dog Fala in Room Three
- Sculptural relief of Roosevelt's funeral cortege, statue of his wife and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt & plaza steps with a timeline
of events during Roosevelt's presidency in the Fourth Room
Photographs from Prologue Room and Room One (First Term Room) of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial, West Potomac Park, National Mall and
Memorial Parks including the:
- Bronze statue of FDR in a wheelchair
- Words of Roosevelt inscribed into the granite walls
- Presidential seal sculpture
- Red South Dakota granite walls inscribed with iconic quotes from President Roosevelt