Please visit my other photograph galleries featuring the Thomas Jefferson Memorial by visiting one of the sub-pages below :
Please visit my photography portfolio on Adobe Stock by clicking on the link below :
Liberty Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
A brief history of the presidential memorial to go alongside my stock photography
- It was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt who came up with the idea of a memorial to honour the third president of the United States, Thomas Jefferson.
- He believed that Jefferson was equally as important as George Washington & Abraham Lincoln.
- The memorial was designed in a classical style with circular colonnade by John Russell Pope in recognition of Jefferson bringing the style to the country, the
memorial was dedicated in 1943.
- The memorial structure houses the bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson sculpted by Rudulph Evans which was originally a plaster version, until it was recast in bronze
after Wolrd War II.
- The statue shows Jefferson looking straight towards the White House.
- Etched on the inner walls of the memorial are Jefferson's words from the Declaration of Independence & other writings.
- This gallery showcases the domed & colonnaded Thomas Jefferson Memorial styled on the "Pantheon" in Rome.
- The presidential memorial is dedicated to one of the most important of the American "Founding Fathers" and the author of the Declaration of Independence.