Please take a look at my photography portfolio on Adobe Stock clicking on the link provided below :
Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
Interested in Washington DC stock photographs? Please visit my internal photo galleries below from the Capitol Hill region of the capital :
A brief history of the US Supreme Court & Jefferson Building to accompany my Washington DC stock photographs
- The Supreme Court was established in 1787 at the Philadelphia Constitutional Convention and forms the Judicial Branch of U.S
- Cass Gilbert was chosen to design the new building which would accommodate the Supreme Court, the result was a fabulous Corinthian
edifice, with sculptures depicting the allegorical figures of the "Contemplation of Justice" and the "Guardian of Law" located beside the steps up to the court and relief stone carvings of William
Howard Taft (Chief Justice) & John Marshall (Chief Justice) in the pediment above the main entrance.
- Carved above it's main entrance are the words "Equal Justice Under Law", the motto of the Supreme Court and which the court is charged
- The Thomas Jefferson Building (Library of Congress) was designed by John L. Smithmeyer & Paul J. Pelz in the Italian
Renaissance style and completed in 1897.
- The Library of Congress as it is known today was first established as a refrence library in the United States Capitol Building
by congress. When the U.S capitol was burnt down by the British in 1814, Thomas Jefferson offered his own book collection as a replacement.
- Today the Library of Congress has the largest collection of books.