Please take a look at my photography portfolio on Adobe Stock if you would like to see more Capitol Hill stock photos at full-size and resolution by clicking on the
link provided below :
Photo Art Adobe Stock Portfolio
A brief history of the Capitol Dome and Statue of Freedom to go alongside my Capitol Hill Stock Photos
- The United States Capitol dome soars above the main Capitol Building reaching 288 feet, it is made of cast iron and was
designed by Thomas U. Walter.
- The cast iron dome which replaced the old wood & copper dome began in 1855 and was completed in 1866. After the framework of the
dome was completed it carefully painted to match up to the rest of the U.S Capitol's Neoclassical stone facade.
- The Statue of Freedom is the bronze sculpture which crowns the United States Capitol dome, designed by Thomas Crawford standing
at 19 feet & 6 inches tall.
- The statue itself is modelled on a classical female figure, with flowing, long hair a helmet with a crest of composed an eagle's head
- Nine stars circle the helmet.
- She is classically dressed which is secured by a brooch inscribed "U.S"
- Over the dress is draped a heavy, flowing robe fringed with fur and decorative balls.
- In her left hand she holds a laurel leaf of victory & shield of the United States.
- Her right hand rests upon a sword wrapped in a scarf.
- The statue rests on a pedestal on a globe which is encircled with the motto E Pluribus Unum (Out of many, one).